Fixing a bad windows switch (driver side)

A couple of days ago the driver side switch for the front passenger window stopped working properly. Since the window itself was working OK using the passenger switch, it had to be the driver side switch itself. So today I took the time to give it a try. I'll skip removing the door panel and just concentrate on the switch box itself.

First detach the box from the door panel. There are four screws holding it in place:

Posted Image

Once the box is out, you can disassemble it. There are three plastic 'prongs' on each side fixing the cover to the box. Make sure the plastic is not cold and brittle - I did it on a hot summer day and the it was quite soft and flexible.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once the cover is off you'll see this:

Posted Image

The PCB is easy to remove by just pulling it upward and then you'll see this:

Posted Image

This is the actual 'switch board' - apart from the drivers window switch, which is on the PCB, every other switch is on there. Getting it out is a bit trickier as it's held in place by 6 plastic prongs (similar as the first cover) - green arrows mark their approximate position.

You can clearly see the 'prongs' here:

Posted Image

And the other side of that board:

Posted Image

You'll notice that some parts are missing on this picture - as you'll lift the switchboard, some of these contacts may stay with the board while some might stay with the other part. Since they're all the same and interchangeable, don't sweat it.

I found that the contacts were quite dirty so I used a contact cleaner in a spray can and some cotton tips to clean them up. Unfortunately the 'before' photo of the board was completely out of focus, but here are the 'before' and 'after' photos of one of the contact:

Posted ImagePosted Image

After all was nice and shiny I positioned the contacts where thay have to be (direction is important - the narrower part of the contact points to the rounded-off edge. After that I added some grease on the upper, non-contact side to make the switches feel a bit lighter and to prevent the abrasion of the plastic that moves these contacts:

Posted Image

Assemble in the reverse order, making sure that everything lines up properly. I had a bit of trouble with the 'window lock' toggle switch - the right lower side of the above photo. Unseen in the photo there's a little metal pin that can move around and has to be aligned with the slot in the other part of the switch - if it's not, the part will still pretty much click in place, but the switch will not move.

After reinstalling the switch box, the front passenger windows was working again. An extra bonus - all passenger windows now move faster then they did before.